Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jane Eyre is finished.... and the next choice is.....

I loved this book. What a beautiful romantic novel. Bronte can really write and unlike Austen there were aspects of this book that surprised me. I really loved the journey that Bronte took me on through the eyes of Eyre. I empathized with Eyre throughout and truly cared for her. I also loved that she finally found a family who loved and cared for you.

Mr. Rochester was fantastic. The character was so well developed and I could recognize the characteristics that caused Eyre to fall in love with him. He is not the typical romantic lead, he lacked manners and looks, but he was full of playfulness and kindness and while these characteristics were certainly displayed in his own nuance, he was an individual I would have like to have known.

This is by far my favorite novel, written by a woman, during this time period. I am eager to read more of the Bronte sisters, however I will be taking a break from Victorian literature and am moving into a more modern vein.

I started Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath last Thursday and am thus far enjoying it. Originally published in 1939, The Grapes of Wrath won the Pulitzer in 1940 and the Nobel in 1962. I am interested in exploring this novel because we are living through economic times similar to those that existed when Steinbeck first penned his masterpiece. I am also curious to see Steinbeck's take on the organization of labor and the force that resulted from individuals working together through collective bargaining, this is another hot button issue in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment